In 1870-72 John Marius Wilsons Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton as
"MIDDLETON, a village and a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Staffordshire, 1½ mile W of the Faseley canal, 2 W of the river Tame, 2¾ S of Watling street, 3 NW of Kingsbury r. station, and 4½ SSW of Tamworth; has a postal letter-box under Tamworth; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Willoughby. The Parish comprises 3,450 acres. Real property£529-3 pop. 484. Houses 99. The manor and most of the land belong to Lord Middleton. Middleton Hall is the seat of John Peal Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value £100. Patron, Lord Middleton. The Church is of various dates from Norman downwards; consists of nave, aisle and chancel with a tower; and contains several monuments to the Willoughbys, and a very ancient and curious one to Lord Ridgway. There are an endowed school with £46 a year, and charities £29"